Tuesday, December 1, 2015

Day 1 - Strawberry Custard




  
Not much for visual appeal, but it tastes a lot better than it looks.


The prompt: Make a dessert based on a family member’s favorite music. For the first day, I chose my sister and roommate, who provided me with “What Death Leaves Behind” by Los Campesinos!

The thought process: After listening to the song initially, I knew immediately that I wanted a dessert with its consistency closer to liquid than solid. Taking a look at the lyrics let me know that I wanted some sort of fruit flavor within the dessert as well—the song speaks of ‘what death leaves behind,’ but takes on a tone, especially towards the end, that gets a little bit more optimistic about the rather morbid subject. The lines “death will leave behind love” and “we will flower again” were what confirmed the fruit flavor for me. Fruits of a plant are both the result of a life and hold potential for new life in the seeds they carry, and as such fit into both the idea of being what is left behind by death and the hopeful potential of ‘flowering’ once more. A quick search online revealed strawberries as the fruit most commonly used to represent love. Combine that with the instrumentation of the song that tasted like a more liquid consistency, and lo and behold, strawberry custard. 

Self-reflection: I was happy to use my blender again. A while back I almost broke it trying to blend cashews for a vegan mac and cheese recipe (that I was making entirely wrong), and haven’t really touched it since. Thankfully it worked fine, and the pureed strawberries were delicious. Hulling the strawberries took a painfully long amount of time, though. I don’t really have an effective system set up for that yet. 

Boiling milk is a skill I have yet to develop. I caught this one foaming way before the last time I had milk on a stove (though to be fair, I was not on a phone call with a friend during this recipe), but it still overflowed a bit. 

Listening to the song on repeat while I was cooking definitely helped me confirm that the dessert really went with what I was listening to, even if some parts of the music started to get a little too lodged in my head.  

The custard itself is certainly delicious, though it occurred to me after I was done making it that I am not entirely sure how custard is supposed to taste.

Quote to sum up the cooking process: “They say you and me are tautology.” 

Recipe credit: http://lickthatspoon.blogspot.com/2012/11/strawberry-custard.html

No comments:

Post a Comment