Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Day 2 - Chilled Tropical Soup





 Why do I keep making stuff that looks kinda bland but tastes so good? Also apologies for this picture being sideways.

The prompt: Make a dinner based on a stranger’s favorite holiday special. A friend of a friend provided me with “Frosty the Snowman” (1969), which made for a unique challenge.

The thought process: I had some troubles with this one. I watched through the special last night looking for something—anything—to base a dinner off of, and I came up with near nothing. Another kind of meal would have been easy: breakfast? An egg-based dish based on that persistent magician’s “messy, messy, messy” hat. Dessert? Frosty and Karen ride in an entire boxcar filled with “ice cream and Christmas cakes” (this is a direct quote, I swear). But dinner? The closest I got was something based on carrots, grasping at straws from when the magician tells his rabbit “no carrots for Christmas” (again, direct quote).

After talking to some people about this frustration, I decided to try a different approach. Inspired by three different but similar suggestions, I decided to go down a route based on temperature. Temperature plays a pretty prominent role in the special—the entire plot is set in motion because Frosty needs to get away from heat, Karen has to deal with the frigid nature of a refrigerated boxcar, and a snowman gets locked in a greenhouse.

Going with this theme of contrasting temperatures, I went with one friend’s idea of a chilled soup. I always think warm when I think of soup, so chilling it is definitely a pretty counterintuitive measure. I thought it would be fitting, given the theme of temperature, to go with some sort of flavor that also gave a temperate impression. Tropical always makes me think warm, and a stroke of good fortune got me a recipe surprisingly quickly for chilled tropical soup.

Self-reflection: I should really figure out how to use a can opener. I had a small amount of time to put this together if I wanted to refrigerate it for as long as the recipe said and still have time to reflect on the taste. And probably half that time was used struggling with opening the can of pineapple juice to a point where I could actually pour it in a fairly clean manner. Being rushed and struggling with a can opener is not a great combination.

I got to use the blender again! It’s been working pretty consistently and it’s a very convenient tool to have. It kind of felt like making a smoothie. Additionally, I had no idea that nectar was a thing that was sold separately. Do people just go around… drinking… like, pear nectar or something?

Regardless of nectary surprises, this soup tastes absolutely delicious. It definitely could use something crunchy to go along with it, and the comment from my sister that it “tastes like a dessert soup” was not entirely reassuring that I met the initial goal of the prompt, but it’s close enough to fitting that its taste makes up for anything that the soup is lacking.

Quote to sum up the cooking process: It's got to be all warm and snug inside for those Christmas flowers to grow so beautiful. Let's go in.” 

Recipe credit: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chilled-tropical-soup

No comments:

Post a Comment